In the fall of 2009 I made socks of Jo-Ann Sensations Soles & More #1814 for both myself and a friend.
Both pairs were tall socks, not knee socks, just something that went higher than most sock patterns. I ended up getting a third skein, of which there’s two ounces left to try the pattern, “Mittens to Fit”, by Slavi Thomsen
The designer’s idea is to have mittens that fit closely to the hand. I want to easily turn keys and play with the many dials and switches on the car dashboard while wearing mittens, so loose, floppy mittens will not do. I think this pattern will work well for me.
The three “regular fit” sock yarn mitten patterns I have in my files only say to begin with a 100 gm. ball of yarn, without telling how much of it the mittens actually use. This fitted pattern calls for just a 50 gm. ball, or 1 3/4 ounce. This is hard for me to believe, because the fingerless ones I made weighed 1 1/2 ounce, but I shall soon find out the truth.
I’m casting on the same number of stitches, 56, as I used for the fingerless mitts. That’s four fewer stitches than a size small on the pattern, but it seems a good place to start, since I know my fingerless mitts fit me very well. My stitch gauge matches that of the pattern.
O.K., I’m confused. I just noticed in my notes from knitting the socks that this particular yarn comes in a 60 gm. ball, which is 2.12 ounces. This is new ball of sock yarn! Ha. Somehow I don’t feel as virtuous as when I thought I was using up leftover yarn, but I shall try not to let that interfere with my enjoyment!! After all, I’ll soon be wearing “Mittens that Fit”!