After much consideration of yarn colors and amounts, I finally started working on the granny’s border!
The darker aqua squares which frame the blanket are slighter larger than the inner squares of light aqua, because the darker aqua yarn is of a slightly heavier weight. With the help of some experimentation, I decided to skip one stitch out of every four or five stitches in the blanket’s edge as I crocheted the first round of its border. I made it a plain double-crochet round of the same darker aqua yarn, hoping this would make my irregularly spaced stitches less noticeable. I’m very pleased with how this technique eased in the extra dark aqua fabric, preparing it for the next two rounds, which I crocheted with a regular weight teal yarn.
I began the first teal round by working three double-crochet stitches (a familiar granny cluster) into one stitch of the dark aqua, skipping the next two stitches, then repeating those two steps the rest of the way around. I made corners with a cluster, two chain stitches, and another cluster.
The second teal round is even more familiar, working a granny cluster in each open space, just like in a granny square. Switching back to the dark aqua yarn, I made a third round of granny clusters. This time I used a smaller, size G hook with the heavier yarn, trying to keep my stitch gauge more consistent.
I think I’m going to use the light raspberry next and then the red violet, although I’m not sure how many rows of each color or what stitches I’ll use. There’s only one-half ounce of the dark aqua yarn and one ounce of the teal left. I wonder how much I would need to do a slip-stitch round on the blanket’s outermost edge.
You’ll notice that Emily, the quality control feline, has sidled up to the yarn for a closer look. As always, she is making sure everything I do meets her strict standards.