I’m sorry if you’re not the least bit interested in talking about even more neckwarmers, but I am! lol. I’m excited about how successful my Autumn Leaves neckwarmer #9 was! Notice that little piece of yarn on the left?
What a beautiful sight! That little piece is all I had left. Yay! Thanks to knitting Anna Hromova’s Basic Neckwarmer from the bottom up, I did not run out of yarn, nor was I left with another annoying little scrap ball! I knitted as high of a turtleneck as I could with the amount of yarn I had, 5 1/2″ tall, which just happens to be the size Anna recommends, while saving a generous three yard tail for the bind-off.
Even that little piece of yarn did not go to waste; I used it to tie fiber content labels on some of the neckwarmers. lol.
I share my notes for a bottom-up Basic Neckwarmer, with Anna’s approval, at the end of this post.
May 25 – I immediately cast-on #10 with some unlabeled navy. I thought the bright Rainbow variegated yarn could be better appreciated if its bright colors weren’t piled one upon another, so I alternated three rounds of navy with one round of Rainbow. I have enough yarn left to knit another rainbow and navy neckwarmer if I reverse the proportion making it three rounds of rainbow to one of navy.
Hmmm, that would be alot of Rainbow. I don’t know if I would like it or not, but I do know that I like the interesting color bands of color the variegated yarn creates on this turtleneck!
The color combination of my next, #11, which I started May 27, was inspired by this pair of socks in Ravelry. I used scrap balls of chartreuse, light olive and taupe, plus a bit of yarn left from neckwarmer #7, the solid blue one.
While I was knitting it I coordinated yarn scraps for yet another striped neckwarmer, #12.
Warm Hands Network would like us to use medium to dark colors, so I also considered what color(s) of my Wilton icing gels I should use to over-dye this pretty light blue vintage wool yarn, ‘Larkspur’, from Caron
and this Red Heart vintage variegated yarn, called ‘Browns’. It’s an acrylic blend so it’ll be interesting to see how well it dyes.
Time was getting short. Knitting had to stop on June 4th so every Basic Neckwarmer could be blocked, photographed and labeled by June 5th. I wondered if I would have the time to dye this unknown lavender yarn with several colors. Each little ball could be a different shade. Or, I could simply dye the large skein and then knit a neckwarmer with the two coordinating colors.
Means I’m now starting at edge of neckwarmer’s bib.
I used 6 stitch markers, 2 of one color, let’s say red, and 4 of another, let’s say yellow.
w/#8 16″ circular needle I Cast-on 184 (used a 3 1/2 yard long tail), joined to knit in the round. Placed red marker at beginning of round.
Switched to #7
The original directions for border say to Knit 4 rounds in garter stitch. With the long tail CO I’ve actually already done the first K round as part of the CO. So P round 2, and K round 3.
While P round 4 I added a yellow marker after every 46 sts (You’ll need the 2 ‘extra’ markers for rounds 5-24)
Rest of Bib:
(It’s a good idea to read through the entire ‘Rest of Bib’ section before proceeding.)
Knit 24 rounds in stockinette stitch while working centered double decreases (S2KP) on every odd-numbered round at the four markers to create the bib’s four corners.
So I wouldn’t be doing the decrease right next to the markers, I K1 and then worked the decrease.
On the even-numbered rounds I moved each marker one stitch to the right. I did this by placing the extra matching colored marker, red or yellow, one stitch before the marker that’s already in place, then K1 and removed old marker.
After 24 rounds you hopefully have 88 stitches left, 22 between markers. Trust me, I sometimes fudge with an increase or decrease or two at this point. lol. As long as your total number of stitches is divisible by four, you’re good to go. You can remove all markers at this point.
Knit 2×2 rib
Original pattern says for 5 1/2″
I liked them anywhere from 6 to 7″ so they reach the tip of the nose when unfolded.
Estimate used 3 yds. to BO in pattern w/#8