Ketjusilmukkahuivi. Someone in Ravelry explained that’s Finnish for ‘chain stitch scarf’.
For those of you who can read Finnish, here’s the Ulla (Finnish on-line knitting magazine) post with Raijis’ original project and pattern. The rest of us can at least enjoy the colorful photo! lol.
With a few days left before the silent charity auction’s deadline, I thought I’d give this fun-looking pattern a try. These two balls of South Maid ‘Shaded Purples’ from my attic stash seemed perfect for an airy spring scarf/wrap. When 350 yard balls (320 m) of #10 mercerized cotton are tagged 25¢ each, they were obviously a tag sale find!
With the help of a Google translation, here’s the pattern in English:
Made with a Worsted Weight yarn and size E hook (3.5 mm) the finished scarf will be about 10 1/2″ x 70″. In the blog photo I count 25 rows.
Chain 315. Fasten off.
Count 15 chains (creates a 15 chain long fringe) then dc in the 16th, 17th, 18th, 19th and 20th chains for a total of 5 dc.
* Chain 15 , skip 15 chain, 5 dc in next 5 chain repeat from * across. There will be 15 unworked chains for that end’s fringe.
Fastened off and repeat with next color.
Adjusting for my change from yarn to a single strand of #10 crochet thread, and having omitted the fringe, I chained 390 to start. I had also decided to do groups of 3 dcs with 5 chains instead of the original pattern’s 5 dcs and 15 chains. So I made my first dc in the 4th chain from the hook, then dc in the 5th and 6th chains. That’s the first set of 3 dc. * Skip 5 chains, dc in next 3 chains. Repeat from * across.
Row 2 through Row 47: Since I didn’t change yarn colors at the end of each row I did a regular 3 ch turning chain which counts as the first dc of my next row. From here on I just matched my stitches to those of the previous row starting with the remaining 2 dcs in the first group of 3 dcs, then * chain 5, skip 5 chains of previous row, 3 dcs into next group of 3 dcs. Repeat from * across.
After blocking, my version of Ketjusilmukkahuivi is 15″ x 62″. A little longer would have been nice, but it’s good, especially when. . .
worn loose. . .
or as a lacy wrap. . .
Guess I just couldn’t get enough of ‘modeling’ in a snowstorm. lol. Here’s one more pose of my very easy, very inexpensive yet striking crochet project.
But I must admit to some minuses that don’t show in the photos.
While it was laid out flat to dry the variegated’s weird pooling really annoyed me, but thankfully that’s not noticeable when it’s being worn!
And, it turns out mercerized cotton feels a little “crunchy”, especially against the neck. If there’d been more time before the fundraiser’s deadline I’d have soaked it again with fabric softener.
Still, I can’t help but wonder if I have another two matching balls of thread in stash. For sure the next Ketjusilmukkahuivi I make will be for me!
P.S. A Big Thank You to DH for playing fashion photographer for me once again.