I designed this ripple around yet another of the many pretty variegated yarns that my friend, Anastacia, gave me. I don’t think I’ve ever seen this one before, but maybe one of you recognize it? I put RHSS ‘Buff’, ‘Soft Navy’ and ‘Hunter Green’ with it plus three somewhat rusty colored burgundy yarns. Two of those, one of regular weight and one so thin I had to use it doubled, are chenille I unraveled from thrift store sweaters, and the third is a simple acrylic yarn.
The widths of the burgundy, navy and hunter stripes were easily decided by the amount I had of each yarn, twice as much burgundy, so the burgundy stripes are twice as wide. But yarn amounts had nothing to do with the order in which I arranged the stripes. A simple burg/navy/hunter repeat would have used exactly the same amounts as the sequence I chose to use instead. I just thought flipping back and forth between burg/navy/hunter and burg/hunter/navy would be a more interesting result.
I panicked when near the ripple’s finish I ran 25 stitches short with the ‘Hunter Green’. ACK!! Who wants to go buy more yarn when they’ve got just ten rows left to do?
But, thankfully, my panic was very short-lived. Only a minute into a frantic scrap box rummage I uncovered this sizable ball. Unlabeled, but I was quite sure it was ‘Hunter Green’. phew. On close comparison I could see I was right.
I have more, twelve ounces more, of the variegated left for future play,
but since I used all but these small scraps of the colors that most closely match, I’m going to let it continue to age in my charity stash.
Oh, yeah. lol. I suppose you’d like to see the finished blanket.
Just look at how the white bits in the variegated Pop! and Sparkle! I don’t think they would if I’d included white stripes. I had brought a skein of white yarn down from the attic, but as soon as I realized I had far more yarns than I needed, I decided it was the one to be omitted. These results say I made the right choice!