Although I’m having great fun weaving on my Saori loom, I’m also anxious to finish this step so I can move on to sewing. You see, as soon as the end of the warp that came wound on the loom appeared from its brown paper wrapping, I measured and found out there’s going to be just enough for the bag I want to make! Woo-Hoo!!
But designing-as-I-go is rather slow work, especially since I’m mostly weaving with fine yarns. I’m using sport and worsted weight ones only as accents because I don’t want my bag to be heavy or stiff.
Still, look at how little warp there is left; I’m more than halfway done!
Unfortunately, this warp has a problem. As you can see, a large group of threads on this edge is very loose and there are a couple of more on the far side.
Luckily, I had just what I needed to fix this. The Kromski rigid heddle loom that I got this summer came with some film canisters attached to its warp. You can see them dangling next to the stand’s left leg.
Film canisters offer an easy way to increase the tension on loose warp threads.
I just put in some pennies. . .
and closed the canister’s lid over a group of equally loose threads.
Then I played with the number of coins in each canister until I could feel that all the threads in the warp were at the same tension.
Here’s how things looked when I had a few too many in the one on the left, making that section far tighter than the rest!
It’s not an accident that I don’t have a photo of my project taken from the front of the loom. You’re going to have to wait for the Big Reveal, when I’ll unfurl my first attempt at free-style Saori weaving. I can hardly wait!