Last week’s Ripple Post got pushed forward all the way to today!
I like to limit each color in my acrylic charity stash to one cardboard box. At the moment Blue is seriously out of control. On the upside this means I easily found a full range of blues, from navy to powder.
After weighing each shade – I’m treating the nearly identical-looking Herrschners Premium and the Caldor Sayelle as one. – I was able to figure out a striping pattern based each ounce of yarn yielding a little over 3 ripple rows, 3.33 rows for RHSS. I know this having crocheted a zillion or so of the same-sized ripple blanket. lol.
You can easily learn the same information about your favorite pattern. Weigh a finished blanket and count its rows. Divide the number of ounces into the number of rows. Voila! Number of blanket rows you can crochet with an ounce of that particular yarn.
As I repeated the striping sequence, I decided it would be fun to gradually move the two rows of ombre closer and closer together until at the center of the blanket they’re separated by only one row of powder blue.
I knew it was very likely that I would run out of at least one color because I had just enough of most shades, although there was an extra ounce of the royal blue. Everything went smoothly. . . until I ran out of powder blue just as I neared the end of the last row in the blanket’s last powder blue section!
Then I thought about how much yarn I’d used so far in the nearly finished five-row powder blue stripe and I ripped it all out! – ugh – As I crocheted that stripe over again I created just a little more tension than usual on the yarn. This technique worked very well! YAY! I even had about a foot to spare.
Reviewing my Project Page in Ravelry, I discovered that, since I started keeping track some time in 2010, I’ve made several ripples containing multiple blues with white and at least one of blues with black, but this is the first that’s All Blue! I feel up to the challenge of designing at least one more as a Blue Stashdown.